Thursday, January 22, 2009

Terreform1



My Latest Obsession

Green Design is the way of the future and my most recent internet investigations have lead me to a group called TERREFORM1, they are a Non Profit organization for Philanthropic Architecture, Urban and Ecological Design. http://www.terreform.org/
The group was formed to advance socio-ecological science and the dissemination of this knowledge through diverse programs. Their unique organization is made up of scientist, artist, architects, students and people of all ages, backgrounds, ect and together are “exploring the larger framework of ecology design”. Some of they’re interested include energy, transportation, buildings, waste treatment, food, water and culture. One particular area of focus for the organization is NYC and its environmental future.

My first stop on the web page was under projects, in particular Natures Home, an inspiring section dedicated to Living Homes. Natures Home is agreement with ecology as the guiding principal; the home is designed to be entirely edible. Why, to provide food to some organism at each stage of its life. It seems they are talking about people and animals primarily, and that the structure be made of breathing products not recomposed or processed material. Personally I find this all very interesting, although being a city dweller myself I have a hard time wrapping my head around animals coming over and taking a bite out of my house. I did enjoy their thoughts on slow farming trees for housing structure as opposed to the industrial manufacturing of felled timber.
A lot of thought has gone into some of these concepts, the writer even states influences from writers such as Thoreau, Emerson, Whitman and Alcot. The Summary gives credit to these authors for defining sensibility in America, or an “early mode of intention that was profoundly ecocentric.” This is said in reference to a self made home by Thoreau and Alcot for Emerson in a cornfield back in 1878.
Personally I enjoyed the writer’s references to Thomas Jefferson’s ideologies concerning natural rights and the pursuit of happiness. The writer mainly calls upon Jefferson’s life long devotion to the division of land for agriculture and education and how it was vital to a person’s livelihood. Ending with the thoughts that Jefferson could never have imagined that today we ignore the right to freedom from toxicity, carcinogens and ozone depleting substances.
This goes on to talk about the lack of Symbiosis (the living together of two dissmiliar organisms) or mutualism in modern design. Then goes on to talk about the differences in “Green design” and “Sustainability” that are being applied internationally and how there are still many missing pieces to this. Key parts to this are embracing the ecosystem and how sustainable technologies for homes can also benefit from biological, natural systems.

Good Stuff!! I have to say although I didn’t get what most of this all means, I really enjoyed where the writer or writers are going with all of this. I recommend checking out this site and reading up.

Once I started checking out the designs, I was very impressed.
The first one is the FAB TREE HOUSE.



This dwelling is composed of 100% living nutrients and is a concept intended to replace the outdated design solutions at Habitat for Humanity; A method to grow homes from native trees. The living structure is grafted into shape with prefabricated Computer Numeric Control (CNC) reusable scaffolds. They are enabling these dwellings to be fully integrated into an ecological community.
Oh and the (CNC) is a computer "controller" that reads G-code and M-code commands and drives a machine tool, a powered mechanical device typically used to fabricate components by the selective removal of material. CNC numerically interpolates the points along a cutting tool's toolpath and directs the servomechanisms that translate the data into movement. The operating parameters of the CNC can be altered via the Master Control Unit (MCU) of the machine.
Just so you know, of what I just wrote means nothing to me, how about you?

One other design is the MATSCAPE: Material Mosaic Triplex 50% living House and Contiguous Landscape.


The three dimensional form results from landscape and climatic vectors. The grid is encoded as an interpretation of the climatic inputs – solar path, wind forces, rainfall and ambient temperatures – in reference to human desired services – comfort, light, air, water, and electricity.
This one in particular is one I am dying to hear more about. The concept rocks and looks how cool it is, who wouldn’t want to live in this. :) Personally I think I am a hippie at heart, because green design and what I’ve been writing about in this review, this inspired design, are very appealing to me. I am going to post some more of the concepts in the near future. So keep your eyes open.

No comments:

Post a Comment